We have two locations in the St. Louis, MO area
Ophthalmology Consultants’ Implantable Refractive Lenses Web Page:
The surgeons of Ophthalmology Consultants are excited to offer the Visian ® ICL TM (implantable Collamer ® lens) to our patients. The Visian ICL is made of an advanced soft-material lens, composed of 100% biocompatible collagen copolymer, that provides not only UV protection and permanent vision correction, but also a quality of vision that is sharper, clearer, and more vivid than that one can achieve with glasses or contacts.
Who is a good candidate for the Visian ICL?
Anyone between the ages of 21 and 45 who suffers from moderate to severe nearsightedness may be a candidate for a Visian ICL.
What are the advantages of the procedure?
- While it is intended to be permanent, the Visian ICL can be removed easily at any time and,
since it does not permanently alter the shape of your cornea, you are free to pursue other vision
- Patients experience sharp, clear vision with depth and dimension almost immediately and at all distances – eliminating the need for glasses and contacts.
- Visian ICL does not cause or contribute to dry eye as other corrective procedures do.
- Patients experience minimal discomfort during and after the procedure. Recovery time is very
brief. Patients often return to work the next day.
- Constant UV protection helps safeguard your eyes from the increased chance of many eye
disorders related to UV radiation exposure.
Although similar to cataract surgery, the natural lens is not removed during the Visian ICL procedure. The lens is implanted into the posterior chamber of the eye behind the iris and in front of the natural lens. It is not attached to any structures within the eye and is designed to stay in position. You enjoy a natural cosmetic appearance because, after it is inserted, the Visian ICL is invisible both to you and anybody else.